UV Sterilization Lamp Grant
Currently, Scott firefighters disinfect stations multiple times a day, and emergency units upon returning to the station from emergency incidents, in an effort to minimize the chances of firefighters from coming into contact with deadly bacteria, viruses and other harmful pathogens.
While conducting research on the best practices to protect firefighters and civilians, Scott Fire Department officials learned from reports published by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that ultraviolet (UV) light lamps deactivate the DNA of bacteria, viruses, and other harmful pathogens with a 99.9% sterilization rate, while remaining harmless to humans.
Recently, Scott Fire Department submitted a grant application to FEMA to obtain 20 UV sterilization lamps, which will be placed inside of high occupancy areas around our public safety complex, fire stations, City Hall and Council chambers. Additionally, in the grant submission, we
requested 5 UV sterilization wands which will be utilized to decontaminate fire and police units and equipment after returning for emergency incidents, keyboards, phones, door handles, incoming mail, and other items which may pose a threat to emergency personnel.
On Friday (2/19/21) SFD received confirmation that the grant was awarded.
This award would provide Scott emergency responders, City Hall workers and civilians who attend meetings or conduct business at City Hall the equipment to stop the spread of bacteria,
viruses and other harmful pathogens.
Just another way of SFD protecting other employees and citizens of Scott. Please feel free to contact me if I can assist with this or any other matter.
Chief Chad P. Sonier
Scott Fire Ruled Arson
While investigating the residential fire in the 500 block of Pecan Grove Road on Sunday (10/11/20), officials quickly came to the conclusion it was intentionally set.
Fires start in seconds, spread in minutes, only giving residents on average three to five minutes to safely
escape. Educating young children on fire and fire related hazards is a vital part of any successful fire
As with most volunteer fire departments, Scott Fire Department was originally established years ago (in 1955) to provide fire suppression. As time evolved, SFD officials have come to the conclusion that educating the public, especially high-risk target groups such as children, on fire safety and how to survive in the event of fire drastically reduces fire related emergencies and deaths as a result of fire.
Grant For Portable Equipment
Portable radios are essential pieces of equipment utilized by firefighters to minimize dangers to firefighters and maximize rescue efforts.
On Tuesday, August 25th at 3:50 pm, Scott Fire Department was dispatched to a residential fire in the 300
block of Andres Road.
On Monday, August 24th at 1:46 pm, Scott Fire Department was dispatched to an apartment fire in the 300 block of Belfast Street, in the Ile Des Cannes apartment complex.
July 29, 2020 – Lafayette Fire Chief Robert P. Benoit and Scott Fire Chief Chad P. Sonnier invites you to the 103rd recruit graduation academy of the Lafayette Fire Department. The graduation ceremony will take place at Lafayette Fire Training Center, 300 N. Dugas Road; Friday, July 31st at 9:00 a.m. The event will occur on the grounds of the complex to ensure adequate social distancing.
On Thursday, July 23rd at 11:01 P.M., Scott Fire Department was dispatched to a commercial fire at 103
North Ambassador Caffery Parkway at the Westport Linen Services facility, located next to the Epic
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) focuses on enhancing the safety of the public and firefighters with respect to fire and fire-related hazards through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Program. The AFG Program accomplishes this by providing financial assistance directly to eligible fire departments for critical equipment and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).