- Check the damper, vents and chimney regularly to ensure proper operation.
- Keep combustible materials at least three feet away from the fireplace.
- Avoid combustible decorations on the mantle.
- Keep children away from openings.
- Never use excessive amounts of paper to build a roaring fire.
- Never burn plastic, charcoal or styrofoam products in the fireplace.
They produce toxic gases!
- Never close the damper with hot ashes in the fireplace.
- Be sure the fire is out before retiring for the evening.
- Consult your local fire department for further questions or information.