On Monday, August 24th at 1:46 pm, Scott Fire Department was dispatched to an apartment fire in the 300 block of Belfast Street, in the Ile Des Cannes apartment complex.
Upon arrival, firefighters observed smoke emitting from a second-floor apartment door. Firefighters advanced to the second floor to investigate where the smoke was coming from.
It was determined that the fire was inside an exterior wall, next to the entry door of the apartment.
Firefighters were able to extinguish a small fire inside the wall, before it was able to extend into the interior of the apartment.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an improperly discarded cigarette, therefore ruled accidental. The building sustained minimal damage as a result of the fire, thanks to the neighbors who called 911 to
alert fire officials.
No firefighters or civilians were injured during the incident and the apartment is still able to be occupied. Firefighters from Judice and Duson responded to assist with extinguishment.
Please feel free to contact me if I can assist with this or any other matter.
Chief Chad Sonnier